[Sca-cooks] Return of the Wanderer (partly OT)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 23 11:14:01 PDT 2001

Volker Bach wrote:
> Philip & Susan Troy schrieb:
>

>>and the ubiquitous
>>banger, which is slightly similar to chipolatas or American breakfast
>>sausage links (pork, Stefan, except perhaps in Texas).
>>

> You actually managed to find a measurable amount
> of meat in a breakfast sauasage?!

My attorney has reminded me that I am under a court order which prevents
my making any critical remarks about bangers, especially Bowyer's brand
(I think).

Essentially, you seem to be involved in a stylistic controversy which
causes people from the UK to think that American pork sausages are
gristly, while Americans (and perhaps others) seem to think that bangers
lack any recognizable meat. In reality, I would submit that British
sausages tend to be ground at least three times through the grinder,
with the addition of some small percentage of a starchy product like
cracker crumbs, resulting in an almost perfectly homogeneous product,
while American sausages tend to be ground once only. I would suspect
that there's little actual difference between the average quality or
proportion of meat used.

I find bangers to be just a bit too smooth and not-moist-but-not-dry for
my taste, but to my mind this makes them different, not bad. For those
who prefer a different style the options are there.

This concludes our legally acceptable and poltically correct analysis of
bangers.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy