Stews (was: Re: [Sca-cooks] cat tipping?)

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Sun Sep 23 13:35:16 PDT 2001

>OFC: I'm thinking of making some good fall-ish soups and stews.  What's
>everybody's favorites? (period or non-p).  I've fallen into a rut and
>would like some new ideas....

Hmmmm.....  Cat stew?  Cat soup???  <ducking>

That being said, something my mother used to cook comes to mind.  Simple,
good, hearty.
Ground beef, onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, canned tomatoes,
barley.  Salt, pepper, bay leaf, sometimes oregano, sometimes thyme,
whatever on hand!

Brown beef and "chopped" onions, chopped garlic.  Add the tomatoes, and
water.  Season.  Add the barley, bring to a boil, let simmer until the
barley is almost done.  Add the potatoes, diced, the carrots sliced,
continue to simmer until it all nearly falls to mush.  You may have to add
some more liquid as you go.  Verify seasoning.  Serve.

Make LOTS, as this is one of those dishes that benefit from sitting and
being rewarmed.

Works wonders in crock pots!

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net