[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Sep 23 16:30:04 PDT 2001

Was written:

Also, the recipe says to let the chestnuts sit for a couple days in a jar of
heavy sugar syrup with a couple tablespoons of cognac.  I don't have any,
and I'm not going to buy any because I wouldn't use it enough to warrant
buying a whole bottle.  I realize this adds a great deal to the flavor, but
can I leave it out?  Or is there an acceptible substitute?

Go to the Booze Store and buy an airline bottle or two of cognac, or failing
that an airline bottle or two of brandy.  Those are the "cute" little shot
sized bottles that the clerk will have behind the counter.  Either should
cost you five bucks US or less for a pair.

Alternatively I think that you can get brandy flavoring in the spice isle of
your grocery if you must.

Daniel Raoul