[Sca-cooks] [OT] Local natural hazards

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Sep 23 17:23:46 PDT 2001

Phil Anderson wrote:

> Stefan writes:
>
> > And this is supposed to induce Gunthar (or anyone else) to visit
> > there, much less move there?
>
> Everyone else is enthusing over what a soft and civilised
> environment they can offer. Surely such a noble warrior as Gunthar
> will desire something with a little more challenge!

Heavens, Edward! I thought the challenge was on the field!

Here in An Tir: Can you stand through a four-hour processional, followed
by two hours of court? Can you armour up, stand in the rain to check in
at lists, and then watch the steam rise as the sun comes out and bakes
everyone? And this is before you even get onto the lists field!

Then there's: Sir Norseguy Norseguysson. Four dozen of him. There's
several dukes among their numbers. A few Celts. Dublin O'Guinn, who
began fighting BC (Before Cups) in woad and a loincloth. Steingrim.
Tjorkill, who will bite your legs off (turtles- don't leg him!). A large
wall of guys in quilted gambesons and brown leather harness. Have you
been to confession lately? A wall of even larger guys in black surcoats
with white maltese crosses (my nephews- the Hospitallers). They will
make you confess! And if all else fails, every once in awhile there
comes out of the hills near Glyn Dwfn, a grizzled old Duke, who can
still get into his armor, who can spank Jade and call him Boy, and who
will methodically chew you up and spit you out. And then crawl home for
arnica and beer...;-).

The other challenge? Keep up with the women. Pack an adequate kitchen
into your rig without breaking the axle. Keep that spiffy purple and
white surcoat clean. Find 'Lainie's camp in the dark by following the
giggles of teenagers, the loud laugh of the Tall man doing the Hamster
Dance, and the smell of the cheesecake and Canisiones...

There is much of life to be had in An Tir- the Challenge is to fit it
all in!

'Lainie