[Sca-cooks] Re: Definition of "interesting" animals...

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Sun Sep 23 17:50:50 PDT 2001

Oh please,

I grew up in the Australian bush.  My parents owned a farm and we went
shooting in the outback.  Yes I've done the "wake up to find a venomous
brown snake curled up on the end of your bed" thing.  I knew I nearly
stepped on them half a dozen times while I was growing up - they only came
inside the house looking for shade and water during the drought summers.
You learn to treat them with respect and have a gun or axe handy at all
times.

It isn't a difficult environment to live in.  I assume when you guys go
camping you feel it is second nature to check your shoes before putting them
on?  well we do the same thing - we just do it all the time.

Mari is correct about suburbia - there isn't much problem in the built-up
environment.  You just need to know that even in Canberra - you don't
approach the wildlife.  The mob of kangaroos that lives on the grounds at
Canberra Uni is still wild - do NOT try to hand feed ANY wildlife - and yes
Koalas are vicious nasty creatures!

I've eaten snake numerous times - the best way in indeed to clean and gut
and roast in an open pan over an open fire - the flavour of the meat sings
through and flesh has the consistency of a very firm fish.

Hugs
Mel.

> >Having lived my 34 years upon earth in Australia and having only ever
> >encountered some pythons & tree snakes (not deadly); some
> red back spiders
> >(not deadly to adults - mildly bad for children if not
> treated within 24
> >hours) and some ravin' yobbos [flannalette shirts; ugg boots
> etc] I can
> >advise you all that the venomous snakes & Spiders aren't
> partial to suburbia
> >or cities and mostly bite due to being stepped on or cornored...
> >>Do >you
> >>really want to put on shoes where spiders, that kill a
> human with >one
> >>bite, like to rest inside?

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.