[Sca-cooks] Return of the Wanderer (partly OT)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 24 05:51:31 PDT 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Stefan li Rous wrote:

> >>Cornflakes and OJ, if my days at Trinity Dublin
> >>are any guide :-)
> >>

> > There have been comments here before about Europeans, to this day,
> > not eating corn (maize). Were these corn flakes made from maize or
> > from something else, wheat, barley?
>
> I suspect the taboo is mostly associated with visually identifiable
> maize. I'd bet money we're talking Kellogg's of Battle Creek.

Yea and verily. My love and I spent a lovely 10 days in the south of
England last year, doing the B&B route, and cornflakes a la Kellogg were
pretty standard. Of preference, we ate the muesli.

Incidentally, the "standard" English breakfast was pretty much the same as
the Irish breakfast being discussed--cereal and oj, toast, butter, and at
least orange marmalade, tea and/or coffee, lean bacon, egg, fried
mushrooms, tomato, and some variety of sausage. It's a wonderful start to
the day when you're doing full-throttle sight-seeing.

Margaret