[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:44:45 PDT 2001

>I'm using a recipe from an very old edition of the Joy of Cooking, and the
>process doesn't look too difficult, but very time-consuming.  But it's my
>first time with candy-making, and I'm a bit nervous as to how it will come
>out.  Any advice to offer a novice confectioner? :-)
>Vittoria

Do you have a candy thermometer?  Do you have an idea what 'soft ball' stage
is?  If you do, you don't necessarily need a thermometer.  Basically, you
spoon a few drops of hot sugar into a bowl of very cold water.  Check the
hardness of the ball with your fingers.  Soft ball being the first stage.
It is just what the name implies.  Rather soft.  Beware though because it
only takes a few seconds for temperatures to take the syrup to a hard ball
stage.  Make sure you use a heavy pan (for more even heating) and use
caution as boiling sugar can really cause severe burns.
Olwen