[Sca-cooks] How old are drinking straws?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Sep 24 10:16:49 PDT 2001

Drinking Straws
In 1888, Marvin Stone patented the spiral winding process to
manufacture the first paper drinking straws. Stone was already a
manufacturer of paper cigarette holders. His idea was to make
paper drinking straws. Before his straws, beverage drinkers
were using the natural rye grass straws.
The product was patented on January the 3rd, 1888.
Later other kinds of spiral-wound paper and non-paper products were
made.
In 1928, electrical engineers began to use spiral-wound tubes in
the first mass produced radios. All made by the same process
invented by Stone. Stone Industrial History The Way Things Work -
Drinking Straws
 taken from
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blstraws.htm

Johnna Holloway Johnnae llyn Lewis