[Sca-cooks] Playing with Marzipan....

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 24 11:44:09 PDT 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >Olwen, do you use fondant in your marzipan, and if so, what proportions?
> >
> >Margaret, who is missing the annual marzipan-making weekend with Grandpa
> >rather acutely this year
>
> No.  I don't use fondant.  Too bad you aren't closer to me Margaret, I
> always have a few pounds of marzipan laying about to play with.  Well, right
> now I'm down to about a pound since making those devices the other day.  Hey
> Chirhart...if I'm good can I come over and use your kitchen aide to make up
> a new batch?
> Olwen

So what *are* the proportions you use? Grandpa used 16 oz almond paste, 12
oz fondant, 4 oz icing sugar, and about a 1/2 tsp rosewater for a 2-lb
lump. It started out sticky but after everything was blended nicely it was
smooth and slightly dry to the touch. It would dry out very quickly,
though, so we always kept it covered when we weren't working with it.

Margaret