[Sca-cooks] Playing with Marzipan....

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 24 13:50:04 PDT 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Olwen answered Margaret with:
> > >Olwen, do you use fondant in your marzipan, and if so, what proportions?
> > >
> > >Margaret, who is missing the annual marzipan-making weekend with Grandpa
> > >rather acutely this year
> >
> > No.  I don't use fondant.
>
> Huh, What's "fondant"?
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan li Rous

Another nifty thing you can do with sugar. There are two types. What I am
talking about is cooked fondant--you cook sugar and water and corn syrup
or cream of tartar to soft ball stage, let it cool completely, then
beat it until white. This is the sort of fondant you find as candy cream
filling.

The other kind is the rolled fondant that gets put on cakes, which
includes white vegetable fat and glycerine as well as sugar and
gelatine.

Margaret