[Sca-cooks] Figs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 24 14:23:03 PDT 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:
>> Reminded me of southern
>> fried pies...
>>
>> Heloise
>

> ****shuddering as she treads here****  What the heck is a southern fried pie
> and why would anyone outside of Graceland want to eat one?
>
> Olwen who just re-thought taking lunch now.

Naughty Olwen, remind me to have a word with your Master on the subject
of xenophobic cuisine derogation. A fried pie (yeah, like we really get
them around here unless they are labelled "Hostess"...) is a turnover
made of a pastry somewhat similar to pate brisee (i.e. shortcrust with
an egg added), usually filled with a stewed and strained puree of dried
fruits such as apricots, figs, dried apples, raisins, prunes, etc.
Turned over like an empanada or a Cornish pasty, sealed/crimped, then
deep-fried.

Note that the filling is pre-cooked; then if fried properly (quickly in
really hot oil), they end up having little or no greater fat content
than an ordinary baked pie would.
Adamantius, far to the East of East Texas but an avid reader of Joe R.
Lansdale
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com