[Sca-cooks] Mushroom Pasties

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 24 16:33:51 PDT 2001

BareToad at aol.com wrote:
> --
> Greetings all!
>
> I would like to make mushroom pasties as one of the dishes in the Italian
> feast I am putting together, but I can't find this dish in any Italian source
> that I have seen.  Does anyone out there have any documentation on Mushroom
> Pasties being a period Italian dish?  Could you share the recipe ior the name
> of the book you found it in?  I would greatly appreciate it!

There's a 14th Century _French_ mushroom pasty recipe (really more of a
description) in Le Menagier de Paris. The author says little red
mushrooms of one night are best, you should peel them, and put them with
cheese and [olive?] oil into your pasty. There may be spice powder
involved; I forget offhand.

Now I realize you're looking for an Italian recipe, but there seems to
be a great deal of overlap in bourgoise and noble foods across a lot of
Europe in the Middle Ages.
  Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy