[Sca-cooks] Question to the group....

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Sep 26 00:18:04 PDT 2001

>I found these recipes in an on-line cookbook "a Gode Boke"
>http://www.godecookery.com/godeboke/godeboke.htm
>I don't know if it is a true medieval cookbook or not but it worked for me.

I was curious, so checked the site.

>>I'd like to see the recipe and redaction for these:
>>>Spiced cabbage
>
>1 large cabbage (approx. 2 lbs.)
>2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
>2 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes
>1 oz. butter
>½ tsp. cinnamon
>salt
>freshly ground black pepper

If you check the web page, this listed under "modern recipes for
beginners," with a modern cookbook given as the source

>>>Half Kede Rosted with Green Sauce
>
>4 to 6 pound kid or lamb roast
>1/2 C wine vinegar
>Salt to taste
>1. Preheat oven to 450°.

This given as "Kede Rosted" and is from Harleian MS 4016.

>Green Sauce for Lamb

Ashmole MS 1429

>>  > Dish if Autumn Roots
>
>I don't remember where I found this,

I couldn't locate it.

>>  > Gubbins Sauce

This one is again in "modern recipes for beginners," and the source
is a modern British cookbook.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/