[Sca-cooks] Wassail was How old are drinking straws?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 26 04:04:46 PDT 2001

Laura C. Minnick wrote:
> Ok, I gotta say it.
>
> Drinking straws are very old. Prehistoric even.
>
> How do I know?
>
> My parents were very young. A very long time ago.
>
> I learned to drink from a straw before I could drink from a cup.
>
> Therefore, straws are ancient.
>
> Ol' Auntie 'Lainie, tottering off in my sequined slippers...

Nonono. That should be:

Straws are very old indeed, and they are period, because I learned to
use them from my great-grandmother, who learned from _her_
great-grandmother, who learned from _her_ great grandmother, all the way
back to the beginning of time. When the first female proto-homo-erectus
began to walk on two legs, her great-grandmother said, "Girl, it's time
you learned the family secret," and immediately taught her the secret of
drinking through a straw.

_And_ how to make sauerkraut-filled pierogies ;  )

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com