[Sca-cooks] Regretable foods....and fixes OOP

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Wed Sep 26 10:08:00 PDT 2001

>I guess I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work even when
>things are done correctly.

No worries <smile>

>You are pouring the broth and bones into the colander which is
>sitting in the sink. You now have broth in the sink and bones
>in the colander. You can remove the colander, but you still
>have the broth in the sink. How do you get the broth into the
>soup pot? By scooping it out with another pot? Siphoning it
>out?

That's right.  Scoop out with a 1 or 2 gallon pot.

The sink was big enough to hold about 25 gallons, so we did it in two or
three batches.

>Sounds like it would be easier to put the colander over another
>large pot and pour from one pot to the other one.

Yes!!!!!  It would have made much more sense to do it that way, however, we
only had one large pot...  The camp management was fairly cheap and refused
to pay for more stuff.  Our "Hobart" (large industrial mixer) had a whip
with only 2 bits of wire left on it, instead of the usual 30 or so.  Yet,
camp director wouldn't buy a new one!  <shrug>

>Okay, so I've not worked much in an institutional kitchen. I do
>remember mixing up a fifty gallon batch of orange juice at a
>Scout event though.

You've not missed much.  Production on that level can be challenging,
especially to make decent food.  I've learned though that kids will
complain no matter what, especially when at camp!

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout