[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 26 11:56:01 PDT 2001

I'm in rehearsals for that play, "Mistress Laurel Seamchecker Explains It All
At You," part 2 of the Mistress Laurel Trilogy by the late Lord Goldwyn of
Britain, to be performed by the Guild of St. Genesius in two marathon
performances in about a week and a half at Great Western War.  There is a
Secret Fighters' Handshake [the men take hands, then ram shoulders] and also a
Secret Pelicans' Handshake [start to shake hands, then miss and each pats
himself on the back].  That last has not been in a play yet, but give us
time...

Casting choices themselves involve fun;  either the person is cast extremely
against type [Cupcake Gaolbait is always a cute-looking but brilliant grad
student, Mavin O'Fun is really an authenticity mavin] or laughing at
him/herself [Me as Histrionica the Herald, for instance].  The characters are
all SCA stereotypes as this is a cautionary sort of morality play, teaching
important lessons for SCA life.  Period in style, at the heart.

Goldwyn cherished the news that wherever the plays were presented, some Duke
would stalk out of the hall, certain that they were picking at HIM
intentionally.  Different Duke every time.

Meanwhile back at the subject line, in the third part of the trilogy
"Nightmare On Laurel Street" Ms. Laurel is taught a lesson by her late
Mistress Mentor and three other ghosts who visit at midnight.  Even the rudest
can be taught.  Thus endeth the lesson.

Selene, Caid
Founding member of the Guild of St. Genesius
I am not the costume police, I am the food police.  We will have to confiscate
all your chocolate. <yummf>