[Sca-cooks] Regretable foods....and fixes OOP

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Wed Sep 26 15:52:49 PDT 2001

Back in it's infancy, our cooks guild also tried to do the "golden
apples of meat" from "Fabulous Feasts".  The dough doesn't call for
enough liquid to hold together, so the two inexperienced cooks assigned
to it panicked.  Rather than play with it to get it to work, they threw
it all out and tried to find something similar.  PANCAKE BATTER!, they
decided.

Of couse, this was late Friday night, and all of the stores were closed,
so they phoned around to everyone they knew to get pancake mix, cause
they didn't know how to make that either.  Now the colouring part - the
recipe asks for saffron.  They had a tiny container of saffron which
they dumped into this huge vat of pancake batter. The saffron
disappeared into the batter with no visible difference.  So they managed
to track down some green food coluring.  Since the small amount of
saffron didn't do much, they figured they must need a lot more of this
stuff too, and dumped in the whole bottle. Remember, it's getting
increasingly late, and they're getting punchy.

Now they had a vat of violently green pancake batter that wouldn't coat
the meatballs.  So, in a moment of genius, Ceridwyn placed 5 raisins
around each meatball, ladeled the batter over top and Mock Turtles were
born.

Faerisa