[Sca-cooks] Waffres

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Sep 26 16:41:09 PDT 2001

""Craig Jones. wrote:
""
""> Ok,  I'm planning to redact this recipe over the next few days.
My
""> guess is that "Take þe Wombe of A luce" is referring to the Womb
of a
""> fish, which I'm guessing is Isinglass.  It would make sense for a
""> wafer recipe to include a gelling agent I guess.  Any opinions
folks?
""
""
""Isinglass is derived from the swim bladder of the sturgeon, I'm
pretty
""sure, and you can find large pieces of puffy fried fish maw (which
is
""actually the swim bladder) in Asian groceries. It is one of those
""nearly-tasteless-but-with-an-interesting-texture ingredients much
prized
""in Chinese soups.

Hmmm, I can get both easily.  I'd prefer to use the Isinglass (more
convienient to use, I don't have to grind it up, but it is more
expensive). Opinions?

""Whether this recipe is referring to the swim bladder or the hard roe
of
""the female luce (which is a pike of sorts, BTW), I don't know. It
would

Luce is a pike-perch, like a zander is it not?

""be tempting to assume the latter, and assume it is there as a
substitute
""for cheese on a fish-day recipe, but the recipe also seems to call
for
""cheese, so presumably that's not an issue.

Caviar and cheese, what a concept.... I think I'd enjoy that combo. I
doubt I could get luce roe so I'll have to choose.

Choices:

1)  Use Lumpfish Caviar,
2)  Use Tarama paste,
3)  Use Salmon Caviar  -  ooo, and I'll have to buy a heap, and finish
    the left overs with some smetana and blinis.....  hmmm... probably
    will get squashed in the wafer iron.  I'll just have to eat them
    ALL instead... :)
4)  Use Isinglass,
5)  Use Fish Maw,
6)  Omit altogether (as the control).

I can see the bits of caviar gleaming as tiny red/black jewels
throughout the wafer.  Sounds like I have a busy and yummy weekend
ahead.....

Cheers,

Drakey.