[Sca-cooks] Marble slabs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 28 03:40:53 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Daniel Raoul said:
>
>>Ok I'll bite, while I'm a sedimentary geologist I do know a thing or two
>>about igneous rocks, i.e. granite.
>>
>>My advice, check out a salvage yard and go with a
>>larger slab a couple of inches thick.  I suggest that you don't set it into
>>the counter but on the counter when in use and pad the back with rubber.
>>

> Wouldn't a 2 ft x 2 ft slab a couple of inches think be pretty heavy
> to be lifting on to the counter and then removing afterwards?
>
> Unless there are handholds carved into it or handles I'd think you'd
> be taking a high risk of dropping it on your fingers or toes. Ouccch.

FWIW, I keep a marble slab (~18x24") on the countertop, on top of that perforated/corrugated non-skid rubber sheeting, and _under_ one of those thick round Chinese rubber cutting boards. No Stefan, nothing bounces, the rubber is hard (also what telephones used to be made of, until fairly recently) and looks like fiberless wood. As [comparatively] rarely as I use my marble slab, keeping it there on the counter hasn't posed a significant problem in sanitation. Primarily it's a female dog when something gets spilled, but thankfully, that's also rare.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com