Mooses [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Regretable foods.... OOP]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 28 06:11:57 PDT 2001

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> I gotta say it...
>

> 			"A Moose bit my sister once..."
>
> 'Lainie
> ;-P

More poignant than Kaufman & Hart's "A penguin bit me!" for being true, rather than fictional. For some reason I'm reminded of an experience in the Adirondacks of a few years ago, in which my brother, the Indiana Jones of light-tackle anglers, and I were walking along a trail called something like, "Moose Alley". He mentioned that no moose had been seen in that area for 150 years. I noticed some large footprints. He mentioned that no moose had been seen there in 150 years. I noticed some large droppings. He mentioned no moose had been seen there for 150 years. I asked what they were. Not deer. Not bear. Any horses in the area? Nope. And if you were thinking of moose, there haven't been any in this area for 150 years. With the inevitability of Greek tragedy, I spotted the four closely-placed trees off to one side of the path. The dark mass above the trees snorted out a discreet cloud of fog in the morning mist, as if to say, "I beg your podden." The trees bent at the knees and
 walked away.

I respectfully submit that moose _do_ occur at least slightly south of
Minnesota and Wisconsin. Within the last 150 years.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com