[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Aurochs was: Regretable foods.... OOP]

Fri Sep 28 08:29:39 PDT 2001

"Aurochs" has been used to refer to both the urus (Bos primigenius) and the
wisent (Bison bonasus).

IIRC, the urus, a large, wild ox, was believed extinct by the 5th Century.
The wisent is rare, but can still be found.  It is a smaller version of the
North American bison.

Bear