[Sca-cooks] OOP QUESTION ABOUT LETTUCE

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Fri Sep 28 09:23:59 PDT 2001

Another related question:

My dad always told me that lettuce cut with steel (i.e. knives) would
turn brown faster, because the metal drew iodine or something out of the
leaves.  That is why bag salads would go bad faster than whole lettuce.
So he demanded that we tear lettuce, not cut it.  Is there any truth to
that?  He headed up the kitchen at the Bethlehem National Guard Reserve
for 20 years, as well as running the kitchen for a nursing home and
working as a "chef" (though he had no accredidation) for the Wood
Company for years.  So, he has some idea what he's talking about.  But
he did come home with a few old wives tales that I called him on.  So,
I've always wondered about this one...

-Magdalena