Mooses [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Regretable foods.... OOP]

JE Anderson eirika2 at home.com
Fri Sep 28 16:36:56 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 6:37 AM
Subject: Mooses [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Regretable foods.... OOP]

> Moose are native as far south as Minnesota and Wisconsin. Moose are
> large. Moose are very very large. Even small moose are large. ;-)
>
> Cars don't always survive encounters with whitetail deer, and very few of
> them run above 200 lb. Mooses can weigh up to 1400, and be 8 feet high at
> the shoulder.

Our pick-up truck survived a encounter with a 2 year-old moose, barely.  We only caught the front legs of the beast but the head and shoulder crumpled headlight and creased the whole side of the truck as we passed by it.  If we had been in a small car, it would have been game over.

> Moose are native to Northern Europe and Scandanavia as well, and probably
> could be considered period game (although they may have just called them
> "deer"). Jellied moose nose is probably not period, though. ;-)

It may well be - if headcheese is period (I don't know btw) then jellied nose could be.  It is a very meaty, boneless part that would have been eaten.

> Fun moose facts:
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/forestfriends/moose.html
>
> A friend of mine originally from An Tir tells a story in which he'd been
> stopped at a wayside somewhere in An Tir or possibly Oertha and watched a
> very curious bull moose *roll* a small car from one end of the parking lot
> to the other. Apparently he liked the color or something.

LOL, never seen that (I'm in Alberta) but have seen a cow moose walking over 5' high fences - not through, she just stepped over them...

Eirika