[Sca-cooks] Isinglass

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 29 15:02:40 PDT 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> I went to the Middle Eastern market while out and he has finally run out of
> perogie presses so, for now Aethelwulf, you won't be getting one of those
> from me.  My man there did tell me he has a pound of Iranian saffron for
> sale at $650.  He brought it back himself so he knows it's the good stuff.
> Any takers?

Just as a reference point, that's close to $41/ounce, and I currently
pay $22 (or has it gone down again?) for an ounce of La Mancha in the
one-ounce tin. That's not even the best price or the best saffron, but
it's pretty good stuff, and quite reasonable considering it's available
all the time within walking distance of home. Maybe this Iranian stuff
is _really_ good stuff, but my own feeling is that most of us (pace to
the incredibly refined palates around me) would not know the difference
between good saffron and really really good saffron, and it may be a
rare individual for whom the double price is worth the pleasure of the
increased quality.

Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I apologize...

I actually oughtta use up my saffron supply and get some fresh stuff.
Hmmmm. Saffron rice cooked in shrimp stock with the shrimp sauteed with
EV olive oil and lots of garlic. The shrimp stock is almost ready anyway...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com