[Sca-cooks] Isinglass

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 29 17:22:04 PDT 2001

>You GREW your own saffron??  Wow!  Details, please?
>
>Vittoria
>who is growing turnips, but that's not nearly as interesting....

The bulbs are availible for sale from several different sources.  Mine came
from Texas but they can be gotten on line from lots of different places.
Simple, plant, wait, pick.  The first year you will only get a few threads,
the second year several more, it increases as time goes by.  You do have to
dig up the bulbs after the second or third year to seperate the new bulbs as
the original ones duplicate, like any bulb will.  I have no idea where you
live, but I live in Maryland, USA and they grow here.  They come up in the
fall and you work like hell for a week then it's over.  That is why they are
so expensive.  One week a year harvest.
Olwen