[Sca-cooks] Marble slabs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 29 23:51:52 PDT 2001

Muiredach mac Loloig said:
> >Yes indeed I would go with the granite.But what would be more excellent
> >would be to use soapstone.
>
> Soapstone??????????
>
> Chirart, I'd love to hear the logic behind that.  I happen to do a fair
> amount of carving on soap stone, and it seems to me that that stone is
> entirely too soft and brittle for this kind of use.  Of course, I've been
> proven wrong in the past :-)

I had the same thought when I read this. I use soapstone for the
molds I carve to cast pewter. It does come in different hardnesses
though. Some I've gotten that is surplus from counter tops, is quite
hard and you need a steel tool to scratch it. Other soapstone, the
stuff I prefer, is soft enough that I can scratch it with my fingernail.

I still think that with either one, although particularly with the
softer stuff, you end up with grains or talcum powder type dust in
your pastry dough or candy.

It is much cheaper than marble or granite, though.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net