[Sca-cooks] Growing saffron (was Isinglass)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 30 00:39:59 PDT 2001

Vittoria the Inquisitive asked:
> Does anyone else here grow their own spices?  I'm sure many of us have herb=
>  gardens (I have a little pot of rosemary which refuses to grow), but what =
> about more unusual things like saffron?  Any truly unique fruits or veggies=
> ?  I'm curious to know what's out there...and to see if any of it is worth =
> planting in my small and weedy backyard :-)

Well, this article in the Florilegium by sometimes list participant
might
be of interest:
Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins Potager
in the
                                       Current Middle Ages" by Akim Yaroslavich.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/Pattrn-Gardns-art.html

I also believe Ras and others on this list are growing various period
plants that aren't otherwise easily available.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net