[Sca-cooks] volume to wieght

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Apr 1 04:25:31 PST 2002

> That only works sometimes. I went to the store last night to buy corn
> for a Cajun corn dish I was making for today's family get-together.
> The recipe called for 7 cups of fresh or frozen corn. Not knowing
> how to do a reasonable job or removing the corn from the husks, I
> opted for frozen corn. The frozen corn (and the canned corn) packages
> are given in wieght not volume.
>
> Easy enough to measure when you get home, but what do you do in the
> store? Considering that I didn't want to come back to the store that
> night, I intentionally erred on having too much. I ended up using one
> of my two large bags of corn. Guess it's time to mark this on my
> recipe.

Well, one trick to get around this particular variant of the problem...
the FDA information will generally give serving sizes by volume, and
tell you approximately how many servings there are in the package.
Multiply out, and you know approximately the total volume of the bag.

As for removing corn from cobs, you need three tools: a big bowl, a
small paper bowl and a good chef's knife. Put the paper bowl upside down
in the big bowl, and rest the end of the cob on it (this keeps it from
slipping as you cut). Then shave the kernels off the cob with the knife,
cutting as close to the cob as you can, and turning sequentially until
you've gotten all the kernels cut off. You can then use the BACK of the
knife to scrape down any goodness left behind on the cob, again turning
the cob as you go. It's fairly quick and easy, and makes GREAT creamed
corn.

Avraham