[Sca-cooks] SPIROL CUT HAM

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Apr 1 04:28:30 PST 2002

> > I'm in the mood for seafood. I have
> > some large tins of scungilli (one of the better forms of canned
> > seafood; at least, closer to the fresh article than most)
>
> And what is this "scungilli"? Is it a particular type of fish? of
> seafood? or is it a variety of things prepared a special way?

Scungili is the Italian name for conch - yes, the meat of the animal who
lives in those beautiful spirally shells that island people use as
horns.

> > I also have a 5-lb box of frozen whole prawns,
>
> When you say "whole", do you mean with the head? Do you cut off
> the head? shell the shrimp?

I would guess probably NOT with the head, as that's hard to find... but
if you can find them, get them, the heads have a LOT of flavor, and make
an INCREDIBLY shrimpy stock.

> > I also have a wheel of rabbit sausage in there... hmmm. Maybe with
> > roasted onions and applesauce?
>
> All this sounds good. A "wheel" of rabbit sausage? I thought sausages
> were done in links. This is the first I've heard of a shape other
> than a link, or cross-sections from a link or just loose sausage
> resembling simple ground meat.

One LOOOOOONG link turned in a spiral is called a "wheel" of sausage.

Avraham