[Sca-cooks] Spice grinder-- electric mortar & pestle from India

Katharine Whisler kathywhisler at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 08:21:29 PST 2002

Hello all, I've just recently joined this list and it is quite interesting.
You guys are so prolific, though, I'm not sure how long I will be able to
keep up with you! :-)

Anyway, in light of the recent discussion of grinding spices, I thought I'd
bring an interesting kitchen appliance to your attention.  I have seen in
the Sur La Table catalog a device called a "Multi Grind," which is best
described as an electric mortar and pestle.  It  differs from a coffee
grinder in that it allows you to stir while grinding.  It is not surprising
that the manufacturer, Sumeet, is an Indian corporation.  Anyway, this thing
is specifically designed to grind dry spices into a fine powder or to grind
moist ingredients into a paste.  It sounds very useful, though at $100,
you'd have to do a fair amount of grinding to make it worth it.

The info is on Sur La Table's website (under appliances, miscellaneous) at
http://www.surlatable.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?dmode=browse&TextMode=0&CI=&StartRow=1&CRPCGNBR=29&CGRFNBR=236&PRRFNBR=30

Sumeet's website is http://www.sumeet.net

Sincerely,
Katerina Arondel (m/k/a Katharine Whisler)