[Sca-cooks] Things to bring from Wales

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Apr 2 04:13:10 PST 2002

Amanda wrote:
SNIPPEDOh,
As for things to trade in return ...
I'm rather out of touch with what might be available ... again, others
from our Isles, and Caid, what should I seek??

OK as someone who does this at least once I year.
I'll start with the forbidden list: no meat (even canned), no seeds, no
fresh fruit, no soft cheese (i.e. cream or cottage), no cream or dairy
products.
Chocolate always goes over well especially:
Wispa bars, Aero bars, orange kit kats, cadburys caramels, flakes, I
generally buy the multipack small ones (gives you more to trade!)
Cheese, any really good local cheese that you could call aged or hard
e.g.  caerphilly, lancashire, a real farmhouse chedder (the difference
from the plastic available here is unreal).
Beer, the good stuff you get in pint bottles at the off licence.  The
stuff made by small breweries.  All you generally find over here is Bass
(yuck).
Tea, even Tetley is preferable to that nasty lipton stuff which is
everywhere.
Marmite (which admitedly you might have trouble finding takers for)
Baked beans, HP sauce, curried fruit chutney, Branston chutney, HP
fruity sauce.
Familiar foods in funny flavors, I'm thinking Pringles here.  In the US
you can find, cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, plain and barbeque.
If I remember rightly don't they have curry flavor now in the UK.
Biscuits, lots of them, there is really nothing like them.  Chocolate
hobnobs (I usually bring plain choc ones), chocolate digestives,
chocolate ginger nuts, Fox's honeycrunch (I think that's what it is
called), Jaffa cakes, snack biscuits like club bars, penguins.
Unusual drinks, there is nothing like cordial here.  I bring Vimto, but
I am a Vimto addict, also something like orange barley water might go
over well.  Any other baked product (i.e. your mothers fruit cake) are
allowed too.
Got any room for your clothes now??
Helewyse