[Sca-cooks] Hungarian Torta

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Apr 2 09:12:39 PST 2002

> >In Redon's "The Medieval Kitchen", recipe 88 is for a "Hungarian Torta".
> >Has anyone made this dish? Does it really serve 12? Can I substitute
> >olive oil +/- butter for the lard? (Several reasons: 1. I don't have a
> >cholesterol problem, but my guests might; 2. I don't care for the taste;

The easiest solution is don't serve the dish, if you don't care for the
taste of the ingredients. It's that simple. Lard does taste different.
It's like saying, "i don't like fish, can I make gefilte fish out of
turkey?" Well, yes, but it won't be gefilte fish, will it?

> >3. I'm not about to render it myself, and the stuff you buy in the
> >butter case often has off flavors, lard is more sensitive than butter.)
> >How MUCH oil is equivalent to a pound of melted lard?

Don't use oil, use crisco, if you have to be health-concious (not that
recent tests have shown that crisco is any better for your health but it's
certainly more PC). Using a fat that isn't solid (such as olive oil) at
room temperature is going to seriously affect your results in cooking.
That's basic food chemistry.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa