[Sca-cooks] pomanders (was oranges)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 6 00:03:51 PST 2002

> Sweet (I believe); Western Europe.   I would like to make a pomander, yet
> many people tell me that all that is is cloved fruit (basically).  I do know
> pomanders were used during the black plague and am trying to document if
> oranges were actually used, like many say, or if a mixture of herbs and
> flowers were used.  I'm not finding a lot of documentation except for the
> cloved fruit which is only documentable back to the victorian era.

Check these files in the PERSONAL CARE section of the Florilegium:
Perfumes-bib      (20K) 12/26/00    "Perfumes Bibliography" by Nora Siri Bock.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/Perfumes-bib.html
perfumes-msg      (39K)  6/ 1/01    Medieval perfumes and pomanders.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/perfumes-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net