[Sca-cooks] OT Curious - catering for large numbers

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Apr 13 14:15:18 PDT 2002

Good Master Chirhart,

I had the great fortune to camp, at Pennsic,  next-door to the famous
Atlantian barbecue-mobile belonging to Robert of the French Quarter. To
quote Jimmy Carter, "I have lusted in my heart." For those who don't know,
it was on a trailer which also had a stainless steel double sink with
running water, counter tops made with bowling-alley lane wood (new),
cast-iron stove burners, storage, and then there was the barbecue---made
from a (new) 250 gallon oil drum on it's side, propane fired,  and the
hinges lifted on hydraulic cylinders......And it all fit on a trailer that
could be towed behind the average truck and had stabilizing legs to set it
up level.

Needless to say, I was in lust with that Pennsic Kitchen. Me, the person
laurelled for rustic cooking.  I want one awfully bad. If I'm really nice to
hubby for maybe three years, then just maybe I can have one of my own to
play with.....

Is there any way to see plans/specs of that marvelous beast? Got any
connections? Can you pull any strings?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Aoife, still drooling all these months later.....

PS. Don't forget to add: Know your kitchen facilities in Advance to the
below list. Oh Yeah, and Let There be Music, and free-flowing treats for
workers/volunteers. If the best party is in the kitchen, you'll never lack
for help. (I was Chef de Cuisine of Aethelmearc First Crown Tourney, and
turned out a pretty good feast for 300 despite the fact that we arrived on
site to find a ditch dug all the way around the feast hall and royalty
cabins AND no water, gas, electricity or refrigeration. Whatever your worst
feast nightmare is, I lived it that weekend, with most of the known-world
big-wigs looking on, and lived to tell the tale. Thank god for excellent
people surrounding me. Hell, they were coming back into the kitchen for
seconds, so it couldn't have been too bad. And no one to this day has ever
criticized me for asking most of the known world royalty and hot-shots to
please zip it and sit down so that I could feed them. I guess they could
recognize a desperate woman when they saw one :) .

M. Chirhart wrote:
Keep Laughing!!!!! Be organized as humanly possible and don't turn away
offers of help.They may have to wait by the wayside but there time will
come. Keep laughing...  Have a good serving plan and good scullery help. Oh
did I mention Keep laughing.  Master chirhart kitchen steward for Atlantia
12th night night of 400

P.S. KEEP LAUGHING