[Sca-cooks] Cameline Confusion....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 22:33:06 PDT 2002

OK, as I mentioned in my mastic post, I had run into
several cameline sauces, and I'm trying, among other
things, to determine a commonality. The first two come
from Taillevant (14th c. When during that century?).

Cariadoc, I noticed on the title page that you said
that this was only part of the Viandier, and two
complete translations had been published elsewhere.
Where?

This is under:

Unboiled sauces and how to make them.

TO MAKE CAMELINE SAUCE. Take ginger, cinnamon, and a
lot of cloves, grains of paradise, mastic, long pepper
if you like; then soak bread in vingar, and take it
out (huh?), and salt to taste.

GARLIC CAMEINE. Grind garlic, cinnamon, and bread, and
add vinegar.

Is this two separate sauces, or is the garlic an
enhancement to the first?

And, from Le Menagier de Paris (c. 1395)

As I mentioned in my previous post on mastic, he
describes buying, rather than making, Cameline sauce,
but these four recipes are given.

Sauces Made Without Boiling

Cameline (2 sauces, winter and summer)

Note that at Tournais, to make Cameline, they grind
together ginger, cinnamon, and saffron and half a
nutmeg: soak in wine, then take out of the morter;
then have white bread crumbs, not toasted, moistened
with cold water and grind in the morter, soak in wine
and strain, then boil it all, and lastly add red
sugar: and this is winter cameline. And in summer they
make it the same way, but it is not boiled.

(A third variation)

And in truth for my taste, the winter sort is good,
but the following is much better: grind a little
ginger with lots of cinnamon, then take it out, and
have lots of toasted bread or bread crumbs in vinegar,
ground and strained.

GARLIC CAMELINE SAUCE For Ray (?). Grind ginger,
garlic and crusts of white bread soaked in vinegar, or
toasted bread, and soak in vinegar; and if you add
liver it will be better.

OK, folks, what do we have here? What makes a Cameline
sauce? The only common ingredient is bread. I've seen
the sauce used as both a sauce for putting on top of
meats, as well as the liquid in a pie-type thing, and
different recipes will specify hot or cold. Just what
IS Cameline sauce?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,