[SCA-cooks] Cinco de Mayo recipes

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 17 10:25:52 PDT 2002

> I got suck\\\\I volunteered to help out with cinco de mayo festivities at
> work. I need some recipe ideas - I have a nice looking recipe for some type
> of fried black bean cakes, and an albondigas soup [little meatballs] and
> empanadas. What other recipes can you suggest?
> I have a meeting about it tomorrow, so I need all of the suggestions by
> somewhere around 10:30.
>
> I would like some sort of green leafy frondy salad something for the health
> nut\\\\dedicated health food eaters, and something else that can be quick
> and easy to make for veggiepeeps, in addition to the gazpacho cold soup. I
> would liek to avoid the ubiquitous chili/layered dip/bag o'chips and salsa
> routine.
> margali

Sorry I missed the deadline - we were stuck in storm shelters at work last evening, and by the time the radar showed that the storm had moved far enough away from where I live, it was late and I was too tired for email.

I did this a number of years ago for one of our post-fighter practice dinners, and the only thing anybody could spontaneously recognize was the quesadillas.  They had apparently been expecting tacos and enchiladas!

I made two stews (one spicy, one not-so), a jicama-orange salad (spiced to taste with ground red pepper), rice with peas and shrimps, and spongecake.  There may have been another vegetable, I don't remember.

I would suggest you look at Mexican recipes for ideas.  I did not do a fish one I liked, not being sure how people like fish.  There is albondigas soup and arroz con pollo (rice with chicken, often with sweet peppers added), and other things that are simple and can be cooked for a crowd.

This is a great site for recipes, it has breakdowns including "Salads," "Vegetarian," "Traditional," and "Soups."  Try things like Avocado Salsa, Cucumber Salsa, or Mango-Papays Salsa to startle people who think that all salsa has tomatoes and comes in a jar.  I love Green Chile Stew and you can make Azteca soup with veggie broth.  They have a lot of desserts so you can choose a Flan or maybe Pan Dulce (which always looks pretty, and leftovers are great for breakfast), or some of the more recognizeable cookies or a spongecake.

http://mexicanrecipe.allrecipes.com/default.asp

                                    ---= Morgan