[Sca-cooks] recipe was re:fried rice

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 28 09:52:52 PDT 2002

I figured since there were people discussing how to make it and what was
traditional, I'm forwarding a recipe from Ming Tsai.  While I am NOT 100%
sure how good his research is, I do trust him to know how to make a good
fried rice.  I've made fried rice in the past (was married to a gentleman
from Hong Kong for 8 years) and never had any issues with it, then again I
can't remember what I did then (I just remember tossing stuff in and eating
it...my bad).

Here Is Ming's version at least:

Ming Tsai:

I'm passionate about fried rice: it's the first real dish I ever made. This
traditional version contains Chinese sausage, ginger, garlic, and softly
cooked egg. Peas don't belong in this
authentic recipe, though their use has become almost automatic even among
Chinese. Use
day-old or leftover rice for this, as freshly made rice gets mushy when it's
stir-fried. If you must use fresh-made rice, "dry" it by spreading it on a
baking sheet and putting it in the freezer until cool, 30 minutes

Ingredients

4 tablespoons canola oil
3 eggs, beaten lightly
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 la chang (Chinese sausage), cut into 1/8-inch dice, or 4 strips cooked
bacon, crumbled
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts chopped and reserved separately
5 cups cold cooked rice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Salt, if needed

Directions

1. Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of
the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil shimmers, add the eggs,
which will puff up. Allow to set about 5 seconds, and using a wok spatula or
similar tool, push the sides of the egg mass toward the center to allow
uncooked egg to reach the pan and solidify. Flip the mass, allow it to set,
about 5 seconds, and slide it onto a dish; do not over cook. With the edge
of the spatula, break the eggs into small pieces. Set aside.

2. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil to the wok and swirl to coat
the pan. When the oil shimmers, add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until
soft, about 2 minutes. Add the la chang, the white parts of the scallions,
and the rice and toss thoroughly until heated through. Add the soy sauce,
pepper, and reserved eggs and toss. Correct the seasoning, adding the salt
if necessary, transfer to a platter, and garnish with the scallion greens.

Serve immediately.

Ming's Tip: The eggs will be done very quickly. Keep an eye on them to make
sure they don't brown or dry out.