[Sca-cooks] Baby artichokes OOP recipes

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Mon Apr 29 10:30:18 PDT 2002

Thought I should let you know what I did with that glut of baby
artichokes.
Artichokes were prepared by breaking or cutting off the tough parts of
the outer leaves until the tender yellow inner ones were reached.  The
top was cut off they were then sliced in half and the choke (if any)
removed.  Once cut artichokes were dropped in acidulated (juice of half
a lemon) water.
Chicken with baby artichokes.
Skin chicken thighs (or other bit).  Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a
non-stick pan, brown the chicken on both sides, remove from the pan.
Add 1 onion and 1 garlic clove chopped and fry until tender, add
artichokes, 1 good splash white wine, simmer briefly, season with
tarragon, salt and pepper then add the chicken back to the pan.  Add
enough stock to just cover.  Put a lid on and simmer for about 30 -40
minutes.  At the end of that time remove the artichokes and chickens and
reserve on a plate, thicken the stock with cornflour, stir in a couple
of tablespoons of cream.  Adjust seasonings, add the chicken and
artichokes back to the sauce, stir to cover.  Serve with rice or
noodles.
Artichoke risotto.
Steam the artichokes until barely tender, reserve.
Make a standard risotto.  I.e.  saute some chopped onions, garlic and
celery in a little olive oil and butter until tender.  Add the rice
(about three quarters of a cup), fry until just translucent on the edges
(about 4 mins).  Add half cup of white wine, stir until absorbed.  Add
boiling stock half a cup at a time, stir over medium heat until
absorbed, keep adding stock until the rice is al dente.  Stir in the
artichokes.  Taste, adjust seasoning, add a little more stock if
neccessary.  Stir in a couple of tablespoons of grated Parmegiano
Reggiano.  serve.
Sauteed Baby artichokes.
Melt a little butter with some olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the
artichokes cut side down, cover with a lid and cook gently until the cut
side is nicely caramelized.  Turn over repeat for the other side.  About
5 mins per side. Deglaze the pan with a little lemon juice, season to
taste with salt and pepper. Eat and enjoy.
Helewyse