[Sca-cooks] Herbal Cordials, was rose vinegar period recipe

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Mon Apr 1 12:23:54 PST 2002

In a message dated 04/01/2002 12:14:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> but, well, i don't think i have anyof Etain's recipes...
> hint, hint...

Well...I...um...haven't done any "period" things.  I mostly use a book called
"Homemade Liqueurs" and am just experimenting.  the peach and plum cordials
turned out okay.  I REALLY liked the English Breakfast Tea one..but a fellow
SCAdian did not.  But he doesn't like tea, either!
  I do not drink much either...I am known to go sleep in a corner after one
small glass of wine.  BUT...I just bottled 5 gallons of a year old cider mead
and racked the "newer" peach melomel and grape pyment off into smaller
carboys.  The berry mead I started two years ago should be just about ready
to drink.  ...so, you thought all summer was long????  The thing is..I will
probably give all of this away..if it's drinkable.
  The one "herbal" cordial that turned out very well last summer was a lemon
sage one!  I found it very refreshing!   There are few "recipes"...I just use
vodka, steep whatever I'm using into it for however long it takes to take on
a color or a taste..and add simple syrup to taste.  I've wanted to try white
brandy..but have not been able to find it at the liquor store...but then, I'm
don't go there that often, so don't really know where to look!
   btw..the book has a whole section of cooking uses for cordials.  I'm sure
some of them can be adapted for peri-oid cookery.

Etain..waiting for her friend's stand of elderberries to bloom.....