[Sca-cooks] Lox::: was::: smoked fishies

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 13:21:37 PST 2002

--- Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
> --
> wait a minute... I thought Nova (the Cadillac of
> fishes  ;-)  ) was unsalted
> lox.... do you mean Nova is  raw?   Like sushi??
> Phillipa (who doesn;t know from bosht but loved to
> eat lox.)

Wait a minute there, Cuz. Uncooked does not necessaily
mean raw. Cooking is usually achieved by the
application of heat, causing chemical changes in the
material, but drying can do similar things, as can
immersion in acidic marinades.

And, I believe Adamantius had said "unsmoked" not
uncooked.

Suggest sometime, you take a piece of a mild fresh
fish, such as cod, and marinate it in lime juice
overnight in the refrigerator. If you compare it to an
unmarinated piece of fresh fish, it will be very
different in texture, and if you taste it, it will
give you very much a "cooked in liquid" mouth feel.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,