[Sca-cooks] Birthdays (was Seder, was...)

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 16:48:24 PST 2002

--- Elizabeth skrev:

> Mine normally coincides with Pennsic, so the
> modern-type birthday
> celebration gets held later; you could do the same
> and have a cake
> late.

What day? I celebrate my birthday at Pennsic- we
usually do Medieval lamb and duck (my two favorite
meats- recipes vary from year to year as we
experiment). Why don't you come on down and celebrate
yours, too? Only reason I started celebrating it was
for an excuse for a party, to pull SPCA together- now,
my birthday is incidental, and the party is
traditional ;-)

> Getting back more or less on topic, does anyone here
> know whether and
> how medieval people celebrated birthdays?

As I understand it, they celebrated the nearest Saints
birthday as their name day, rather than the birthday
itself....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,