[Sca-cooks] Cooking Guild ranking system?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 5 10:26:29 PST 2002

Essentially, it worked in a similar fashion.  Most folks came into the Guild
as Apprentices.  As sort of an initiation, we had them swear on an onion
that they would support the efforts of the Guild, learn what we had to offer
and share what they gleaned from other sources.  To move from Apprentice to
Journeyman, they were given the responsibility for planning and executing a
single course at a feast.  This would be done under the guidance of a
Master.  To move from Journeyman to Master, the person would be required to
plan and execute an entire period feast.  They were also required, IIRC, to
redact at least a few of their own recipes.  The resulting feast would be
judged by 3 Master Cooks.

It's been a long time, but I think that's how it worked.  Now understand:
this was a local guild.  I guess you could possibly do something similar on
a Kingdom level, but you'd have to make sure that there was a Master
available to work with the apprentices and journeymen.

Hope this helps....

Kiri