[Sca-cooks] oranges

jemoore at firstam.com jemoore at firstam.com
Fri Apr 5 12:46:17 PST 2002

Sweet (I believe); Western Europe.   I would like to make a pomander, yet
many people tell me that all that is is cloved fruit (basically).  I do know
pomanders were used during the black plague and am trying to document if
oranges were actually used, like many say, or if a mixture of herbs and
flowers were used.  I'm not finding a lot of documentation except for the
cloved fruit which is only documentable back to the victorian era.

I know its OT but I thought if anyone knew about oranges you guys would.

Thanks

> Sour oranges or sweet?  And where in Europe?
>
> Sour oranges were introduced to Sicily (11th c.) and Spain (12th c.) by
the Arabs.  Sweet oranges appeared in the Mediterranean area in the late
15th c.