[Sca-cooks] Peers, Pressuring the BoD

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 15:57:57 PST 2002

In a message dated 4/2/2002 10:00:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kattratt at charter.net writes:

> How hard is it to find a Handicap accessible camp? Aren't all boy scout
> camps supposed to be Accessible?

Not necessarily.  Are Boy Scout camps public accomodations, or are they camps
owned by a private club?  If the latter, they are not required to be
accessible.  And since the Boy Scouts are allowed to exclude homosexuals, I
suspect they are a private club.

The Boy Scout camp we use has some "nods" to accessibility.  There is a ramp
to the showers, and the commodes inside the shower house have only curtains,
not doors, so are easy to enter.  On the other hand, the shower house is at
the bottom of a steep hill with only a gravel road or a steep, stepped path
for access.  There are accessible cabins there, but the dining hall is at the
top of that hill.  The dining hall has been recently rebuilt and is very
accessible, including having two huge bathrooms with rails, etc inside the
hall (new since the rebuild).  But again, the only approach to the building
from any of the accessible cabins is a gravel/dirt road with steep hills or
stepped paths.  So you might say that, while the buildings are accessible,
they are separated by pretty long stretches of only marginally accessible
(even with help) land.

Another Boy Scout camp in our area, which is frequently used by a neighboring
shire, has more things in the level area, but the area where we are allowed
to have bonfires/bardic circles is half a mile away down one of those steep
gravel roads.  Mostly accessible with some help except for the bardic
circles.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't make every effort to find accessible sites;
I'm just saying, particularly for camping sites, it may not be as easy as it
seems it should be.

Brangwayna