[Sca-cooks] OT Rose beads

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 5 23:57:41 PST 2002

Lina Harley asked:
> but, can anyone help me with period documentation on rose beads?  The
> closest I can find is a nineteenth century recipe.  I found a really neat
> pomander container I'd like to place these in.

Well, yes. :-)

Check the Florilegium.

Specifically this file in the RELIGION section:
rosaries-msg      (52K) 12/ 8/00    Period rosaries and their use. Making rose
                                       beads.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/rosaries-msg.html

You might also find this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section
useful:
roses-art         (36K)  5/15/97    "Sacred Iron Posies" by Daniel del Cavallo.
                                       (medieval roses).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/roses-art.html

There is also some other information on period roses and period herbals
in this section that might prove of use.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net