[Sca-cooks] oranges

Mon Apr 8 11:11:12 PDT 2002

The orange is believed to have been brought out of India or Persia by the
Arabs following the Islamic Expansion.

While there is reference to bananas and citrons by Nearchus, Alexander's
general who invaded Northern India about 325 BCE,  there is no reference to
oranges.  It was Nearchus who introduced the first citrus fruit into the
Mediterranean Basin.

There is no word for orange in either classic or medieval Latin.  Old
Italian uses the word "melarancio" ("mela" = "fruit" + "arancio" = "orange
tree" from the Arabic "naranj") strengthening the idea of an Arabic origin.
Other European languages originate in the Arabic form.  Other than one
mosaic (which may be an artist's error), there is nothing (to my knowledge)
to suggest the Romans had oranges.  Also, Pliny does not note them in his
Natural History, which would have been the case if they were in use in the
Mediterranean Basin prior to the 1st Century.  For these reasons, I question
any source which places oranges in the Roman Empire.

Introduction of the orange by the Arabs could have been as early as the 8th
Century or as late as the 12th for individual locales.  Since the Arabs lost
Sicily in 1091, their introduction of oranges to that island could have been
no later than the 11th Century.  As a general opinion, 10th Century is as
good a date as any.

Bear