[Sca-cooks] Honey stuffed crabs

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Apr 9 23:11:04 PDT 2002

>NaughtyandSingleDrakey said:
>> I prepared Honey Stuffed Crabs for the Enchanted Ground's Friday
night
>> Lenten Feast at Lochac's Rowany Festival over Easter.
>
>Ok Drakey, where's the recipe? Especially if this is a period recipe.

For you, Darling, anything......

Drakey.

ps.  We in lochac love your floregium.  Keep up the great work...

Honeyed Stuffed Crabs
---------------------

Original:

Ni Tsan's Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and
Eating (Yun Lintang Yinshi Zhidu Ji):

Honeyed Stuffed Crabs
Cook in salted water. When the colour begins to change (to red), take
out.  Break up the crab  and extract the meat from claws and legs. Cut
this into small pieces and stuff into shell.  Combine egg with a small
amount of honey and mix with meat in shell.  Spread some fat on the
egg. Steam until the egg has just solidified.  Do not overcook. For
eating, it can be dipped into ground orange peel and vinegar.

Footnote on Crabs:
The kind of crab (yu-mou or ch'iu-niou) is identified by Francoise
Sabban as Charibdys japonica, a common crab found in the South China
Sea.

Drake's Redaction:

Ingredients (Shells):
· 5 Blue Swimmer Crabs (1/2 crab shell per person)
· 1 Tbsp Salt (For Pot)
· 5 Eggs, Beaten
· 1 Tbsp Honey (I prefer Cherry Blossom)
· 1 pinch Salt
· Lard  (this can be omitted)

Ingredients (Dressing):
· 5g Finely Minced Mandarin Peel
· 20g Rice Wine Vinegar

 Method:
· Heat water in large stock to boil.  Add 1 Tbsp salt, and Crabs.
  Boil (with lid on) until they turn red.  Take out crabs and allow to
  cool.
· Very finely mince some fresh mandarin orange peel and add to the
  Rice Wine Vinegar.  Shake vigorously and chill.
· When cool, crack crabs (Retaining the top carapace) and extract all
  the meat and place in the bowl (watch for adulterants such as the
  nasty clear sinew bits, gills, guts, roe and bits of shell).
· Trim and clean top carapaces (the last 2 stages will take a few
  volunteers). Have some shells pre-prepared if you can.
· Shred crab meat and mix with beaten egg, honey, and salt.  Mould
  into each crab shell and lightly brush with heated, liquid lard.
· Steam in Bamboo Baskets for 5-8 minutes, until the mixture has set.
· Take dipping sauce and shake vigorously again and pour into small
  dipping bowls to serve on the side of the crab shells.

 Assumptions:
· A small amount of salt was added to the steamed mix as the redactor
  likes salt in his food...
· Blue Swimmer Crabs were used as the closest substitute to Charybdis
  japonica available.