[Sca-cooks] period asparagus

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed Apr 10 16:24:00 PDT 2002

Adamantius replied to Phlip with:
You know, I wonder if this describes an herbal infusion, rather than
"an asparagus dish" per se, and whether it is intended to be made
from the fern-like mature asparagus plant, rather than the
[botanically speaking] underdeveloped asparagus "spear".
-----

Interesting. Thanks.

However, he then says:
--------
Anthimus' claim that they ought not to be overcooked is, of course,
supported by Caesar Augustus' frequent country aphorism, "I want it
done quicker than boiling asparagus!" Of course, a lot can happen to
a plant in over 600 years.
-------

I'm sorry, but are you just being humorous here, or is this or
something close actually a saying by Caesar Augustus? I hate to
perpetuate a myth or a joke in the Florilegium but I'm afraid
I really can't tell here.

Then again, this could be one of those translation errors, where
"asparagus" might not be the actual plant involved, just the closest
common one the translator thought would be well known.

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous