[Sca-cooks] yippee - oop, ot

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Wed Apr 10 21:09:18 PDT 2002

In a message dated 4/10/02 11:25:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip_u at yahoo.com writes:

> well, everyone knows that Texans don't count as real
> Southerners- Hell, ask them, and they'll try to tell
> you all about being their own country once.

Au contrare, Philip. Being a Texan, I must stand up with this fact. Back in
the early 1800's, Americans settled into a province known as Coahuila-Texas
and lived as naturalized citizens (President Antionio Lopez de Santa Anna
supported it because it would give the land natural resources.) But because
Santa Anna was getting greedy with the province with all of the money getting
in, it sparked a revolution. The most famous battle coming from this
revolution was The Alamo. About 1836-37 ish, Texans won their independence
and Sam Houston (who was the first president of the newely reformed Repubic
of Texas) forced Santa Anna to sign a treaty recognizing Texas' independence.
It wasn't until 1844, I believe, that Texas was annexed into the US under
John Tyler. You can see how they were annex because most of the settlers
there were native born Americans. Kinda like what Hitler did before WWII (he
annexed his home country and others with large populations of Germans). And
that is why Texas was once considered its own country.

Misha
Proud Texan and true Southern. I love ma grits.