[Sca-cooks] Re: Hollywood gays (was movie night at therock)

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Apr 11 10:54:13 PDT 2002

    Given the high (er) percentage of gays in the entertainment field and
the high(er) levels of creativity generally associated with them, why have
gay relationships been presented is such lights? It's not like it's a
horribly taboo subject any more, yet the subject is treated as either scary
& tragic or one of Liberace's wet dreams. I think it would be interesting to
do a mainstream gay family drama, something along the lines of "Leave Out
the Beaver" . . .?
    Or perhaps the story of the first two Edwards as told from the
perspective of Piers Gaveston? Though it would have a tragic ending by
definition . . . For an exceptionally interesting treatment of the subject,
if only tangentially, I suggest "Flambard's Confession" by Marilyn Durham.
She was a serious medieval scholar who tried to get into the SCA on my
recommendation, only to be chased out because she was too old . . .

    Sieggy